Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Why not to buy an iPad (for now at least)

From the number of people I have seen purchasing iPads with a lot of uncertainty in their decisions, I’d like to raise the following counter-argument for those contemplating a purchase before they dive head-first:

  1. Problems expected to be rectified in the next generation of iPads:
    • No multi-tasking.
    • No video conferencing, as there’s no front (or back) camera.
    • No external storage support (USB,SD)
    • 1-inch bezel adds unnecessary size and weight. For me, it’s just too heavy for one-handed holding above a few minutes.
  2. Inherent problems with no future changes expected:
    • Your web experience will be missing Adobe Flash
    • 4:3 aspect is unsuitable for widescreen video viewing
  3. Competitors are launching more functional products. See here, here, and here.
My opinion: wait either for the competition’s offerings or the next generation iPad. Remember how the original iPhone missed the basics (3G, Bluetooth)? Fool me once … 

I’m sure I missed other issues that would stop many from acquiring iPads. What are your “counter-reasons”? Write in the “comments” link below. 

5/8/2010 update on the competition: Android 3 tablet from Motorola coming this Novemeber.

Technorati Tags: ,

Related Posts by Categories:



No comments:

Post a Comment